The Council’s ‘Better Colchester’ Strategic Plan 2020-23 sets out our priorities for the current period.
Our priorities are:
- Tackling the climate challenge and leading sustainability
- Creating safe, healthy and active communities
- Delivering homes for people who need them
- Growing a fair economy so everyone benefits
- Celebrating our heritage and culture.
The political make-up of the Council is:
- Conservatives 23
- Liberal Democrats 12
- Labour 11
- Highwoods Independent Group 3
- Green 2.
The Council is currently run by a joint administration consisting of the Conservative and Highwoods Independent groups. The Council Leader is Councillor Paul Dundas.
In 2017 the Council decided to proceed with the establishment of a wholly-owned trading structure: Colchester Commercial Holdings Ltd, and has subsequently created three subsidiary organisations:
- Colchester Amphora Homes: our housing development company
- Amphora Energy Ltd: delivers sustainable, carbon-saving heating for local homes and businesses
- Amphora Trading Ltd: runs the Council’s commercial services.
These organisations enable the Council to deliver services in a more flexible and entrepreneurial manner, increasing our revenue streams to help sustain our services with a range of commercial activity and significant capital ventures. To date the Council’s Chief Executive has also acted as the MD of Colchester Commercial Holdings Ltd. But this will not be part of new postholder’s remit and a new Managing Director will be appointed to this role.
You can read more about Colchester Commercial Holdings in our CCHL Annual Report 2020-2021.